Ambwene Yessayah AY
Other Name/s: Ambwene Yessayah a.k.a AY
Date/s: 05 July 1982
Actor | Entrepreneur | Producer | Singer | Song Writter
Ambwene Yessayah a.k.a AY
Ambwene Yessayah a.k.a AY
Began his musical career at the tender age of ten. While in primary school he participated in talent searches and frequently entertained guests at parties and weddings. In 1996 while in high school he formed a group with his friends called S.O.G. it had three members including A.Y. They recorded an album and released it in the year 2000.
In 2001 A.Y. decided to go solo and recorded his first solo album ‘Raha Kamili‘. The first single off the album ‘Raha Tu’(Pure Joy) was a huge success and topped the charts both on radio and T.V. and introduced A.Y. into the Tanzanian music scene.
The second single ‘Machoni kama watu’(a swahili phrase meaning their faces are human but their hearts are inhuman) feat Lady Jay D also did extremely well in the radio charts and helped push his album sales in the market.
In 2005 A.Y. released his second album ‘Hisia Zangu‘ (my feelings) and the first single ‘Yule‘ (That one)topped the charts. The album included various collaborations with top East African Artistes like Prezzo, Tattuu and Deux Vultures(Kenyan Artistes), Maurice Kirya (Ugandan Artiste).This gave A.Y. more appeal and recognition in East Africa. The second single off the album ‘Binadamu’ (Human Beings) was a huge hit in East Africa and was nominated for a Kora Award making A.Y. the first Tanzanian male artiste to be nominated for the award.
more serious business…
After the release of the second album A.Y. ‘s popularity increased in East Africa and established him as a top artiste in the region. In 2006 he got an endorsement deal with ‘Konyagi’ one of the top selling liquors in Tanzania.This gave him huge visibility all over the country. The endorsement deal opened more doors and he did various commercials with different companies like Coca-Cola, Vodacom, Celtel and Kilimanjaro Lager.
Style and Approach
Hip Hop music that talks about the daily issues and lifestyles of African’s today. The issues are conveyed in a witty yet entertaining style. His music relates to and appeals to people of all ages.
- 2005,Nominated for Best Male Artiste East and Central Africa at The Kora Awards for the single ‘Binadamu’.
- 2006 Nominated for Best Male Artiste,Tanzania at Kisima Music Awards in Kenya.
- 2007 Received a Kilimanjaro Music Award for Best Hip Hop single.
- 2007 Received a Kisima Music Award in Kenya for Best Music Video-Tanzania.
- 2007 Received a Pearl of Africa Music Award for Best Hip Hop single.
- 2008 Received a Kilimanjaro Music Award for Best Collaboration.
- 2008 Received a Pearl of Africa Music Award for Best Male Artist-Tanzania.
Akon has repeatedly acknowledged A.Y.’s music and was particularly impressed by his style and sees him as the next rap artist from Africa to make it internationally.
2010 Nominated for Best Video and Best Reggae Song at Kili Music Awards,Best Video at Teen Xtra Music Awars, ,Artiste of the Year,Best African Collaboration,Best East Africa song of the Year,Best Hip Hop Song,Best Male Artiste.
Received Best East African Artist at Chaguo La Teneez 2010
Achievements - 6 Awards to date.
Has had 14 hit singles all of which made it to number one in East Africa. His biggest song to date is KINGS AND QUEENS.The song has won him various awards and international recognition the song talks about AFRICAN KINGS AND QUEENS Another hit single ‘Habari Ndio hiyo’ (that is the news)is currently number 10 on the radio express chart-Africa. He various collaborations with top East African Artistes like Chameleone,Ngoni (Uganda) ,Amani, Nameless, Juacali (Kenya),P.Square,J.Martins (Nigeria) and other.
What you didn’t know
Real name: Ambwene Yessayah
Style: Simple and Casual
Date of birth: 5th July
Favorite Color: Blue
Has just launched his website www.ay.co.tz One of his singles ‘Binadamu’ will be featured in an African Compilation album soon to be released by Warner Music Africa. Has just signed an endorsement deal to promote Uganda Waragi (liquor),Vodacom. Is currently collaborations with Nigerian Artist J.Martins, American and South African artistes.
- The launch of his four albums was a huge success and sponsored by Tanzania Cigarrette Company and invited international artists like Fat Joe, Eve, Shaggy and others. Was one of the main artistes perfoming during a huge concert
- Music Against Aids’ in Tanzania an intiative supported by Tanzanian government and U.S.A.I.D.
- The Coke side of life tour in East Africa.
- The Afro Arabs youth Festival in Uganda that had different artistes from all over Africa.
- Zanzibar International Film Festival.
- Sauti za Busara Festival
- Perfomed for refugees of Rwanda and Burundi courtesy of U.N.H.C.R.
- Tanzania was hourned this year to have the Olympic torch pass through their country, A.Y. was one of the few artistes selected to perform at the event.
- Has also perfomed in East Africa,Rwanda Burundi,Dubai,South Africa,U.S.A and the U.K.
- Mtv Africa Music Awards 2009